Monday, January 31, 2011

John Barry has left the room.

I love film soundtracks and my collection is quite healthy and a broad mix of James Horner, John Williams but the love had to start somewhere. It had to be awoken, and that moment came when as an excited 8 year old I sat down to watch the first UK showing of You Only Live Twice. I remember the opening titles, the volcanic images and the moody spine tingling Nancy Sinatra singing the opening theme. Everything fell into place, the world made sense because John Barry's music made me feel so.
That Christmas my father bought me one of those cheap seventies albums Geoff Love and his Orchestra Bond themes. It was from this album of cover versions I became absorbed by the Barry sound. OHMSS the ski chase music would get repeated and repeated until the album became worn. As I grew older I migrated to John Williams Star Wars Soundtracks but then Disney climbed onto the SCI FI bandwagon and Barry composed the musci in which to enter a Black Hole. I had a Christmas voucher and it went on my first proper Barry tape, yes tape to go with my first stereo and boy did that tape get played from the Triumphant opening march through to the Ominous rumblings of conflict and heroics the Black hole soundtrack was well loved.. As time passed and I got my first job my collection expanded. But CD was a revelation. Midnight Cowboy, Zulu, Born Free, Out of Africa , Body Heat, Dances With Wolves.
     The man could address every genre and hold you in his gentle grip. He made bad movie s memorable and great movie s unforgettable. The last soundtrack I bought was his Enigma soundtrack, a moody romantic mystery perfectly complimenting the images that unfolded on screen.
      My favourite album of his is Moviola a drawing together of his more lyrical and memorable themes from Out of Africa to Chaplain , it will be my CD of choice tonight, particularly the Chaplin track, as I remember a great who gave Bond his edge, gave Africa its romance and the Wild west its epic ness and Harry Palmer his rebellious coolness.
Gold Bless you John

No comments:

Post a Comment