Monday, January 10, 2011

Film shows of my youth Clapperboard

The 70's were the formative years for my love of film. Cinemas weren't so full of box office fodder , Jaws hadnt yet started the new movement. At this time my favourite show was presented by Chris Kelly and was classed as a kids show but it was a virtual film 101, before the Internet it served as a publicity machine each programme concentrating on a particular aspect of film making. Some episodes were historical lessons concerning the story of film. Other episodes focused on various trades within film production. Editors, composers.
     But my favourite episodes were the ones that focused on a particular film due out, the sort of promotional filler that we now take for granted as DVD extra's. So we got glimpses of At the Earth's Core, The Empire Strikes back, and the making of Krull.
     It ran from 1972 - 1982 for a decade and I loved it. But the episodes I particularly remember were those devoted to my hero Ray Harryhausen and in particular his fantasy films. In fact Clash of the Titans was one of the last films they covered. I marvelled at the fact that each movement of one of his creations was a painstaking process of delicate movements recorded frame by frame. But when actually sat watching his movies you forgot all that to be drawn into the atmosphere he created and the story that unfolded.
   My particular favourites being The Golden Voyage of Sinbad  and  Mysterious Island and of course no list would be complete without Jason and the Argonauts the last which takes pride of place in my DVD collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment