Thursday, May 17, 2012

3D Blu Ray's high price for depth

Well five weeks ago , I bit the bullet. For a couple of months I had been moaning about our old first generation HD TV. The fates conspired and we found ourselves in the position of being able to afford a newer model. My pick list of must have attributes were that it had to be Plasma, 1080p and 24 fps capable. My wife's condition was that it had to be a 50 inch screen and her reasoning? Well it was practical why replace a 40 inch tv with with a  40 inch surely bigger is better. A flawless argument. ( I wasn't going to disagree with her faultless logic)
    But fate was on our side as due to 2012 new TV lines coming out our local electrical retailer was holding a major TV sale and  we found we could afford a better model than we had previously been considering  a Panasonic with 3D functionality.
    So? I hear you ask.
    Well as each new Home Entertainment breakthrough comes out, were asked to pay a premium. Here that premium is software related. I follow the wonderful  Bill Hunt and his site Digital bits and there have been a number of posts about the poor take up of 3D in the home. Well now that I work in Wellington CBD I can go window shopping which then occasionally and when the wife isnt looking ends up in a purchase. I managed to get three films relatively cheaply, Piranha 3D, Coraline 3D and finally my favourite of the moment Tintin ( I love this movie, Spielberg , Jackson and the magic of Weta). Tintin was the most expensive, at $39.99 and that is a price I can live with.
    So a few facts, the average Blu ray price in New Zealand, non 3D is roughly between $34.99 and $40.00. The first thing you notice is a lack of consistency in pricing. But with 3D content, the prices  have been in the range of $40 - $56.
    3D is cool when done well, when done badly it offers nothing to a movie. Coraline is even more magical in 3D and has become the de-facto demo disc in our house. But I managed to get that for $19 I cant justify any purchase of a  3D blu ray at $56.
    So Mr Studio, if you wanna the format to take off, don't screw us over the pricing. $34 flat, or $56 3D, its a no brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment