Thursday, May 17, 2012

Battleship

Well despite the quiet, I have been attending my local cinema, but I decided that one film was a no brainer, that the hype and its popularity made it review proof. Suffice to say I loved it, that its success is well deserved as it brought out the ten year old in me who grew up on UK Marvels incredible hulk magazine. So thank god for the Avengers and I feel a return trip to the cinema coming on. Special note, in this film the 3D is worth it.
    So Battleship, I saw this two weeks ago as for some reason New Zealand and Australia got the film first. I held off posting on it, because I thought I would hold off until it came out Stateside.
    I knew it was based on the board game, and to be honest it references the game in a clever fashion , its an okay film, its just not a great film. But I'm not going to slam it for that, Transformers to me is not a great movie, but it was a success. There is a lot to like in this movie, but at the same time a lot to hate. Its quite simply a gladiatorial contest between Alien scouts and the elite of the Earths navies, all fought in  a controlled arena whilst an alien scouting party attempts to create a transmitting beacon on Hawaii to communicate to the invasion fleet.
    It''s not Independence day and at times it feels like Michael Bay light, only in that it lacks his excesses and feels more controlled. The first hour feels slow but once the action kicks in the pace picks up. This is a pure popcorn movie, characters are cardboard cut outs, they do stupid things for no reason at all, and then do something outrageously heroic five minutes later. For what it is its okay, but how will it withstand the juggernaut that is the Avengers? I honestly don't think it will, it just can't compete. Put simply having seen both there is good reason why Avengers is doing repeat business.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment