Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cinematic thoughts

 The last week was spent reading two interesting books by UK film critic Mark Kermode,  the first was Its Only a Movie which is his  biography and the second The Good the Bad and the Multiplex an educated look at the state of cinema today covering a wide range of topics from Multiplexes, 3D , remakes and sequalitis. It sounds dry by Mark Kermodes style is humerous and informative and makes for a great read. I enjoyed the latter book more and I highly recommend it for its ability to make you think about the points being made. I dont necessarily agree with them all but they are well made.

While were at it I'm an unashamed Simon Pegg fan, and his book Nerd do well is another great read, Its more about him and his life rather than a Showbiz tell all and for that reason it stands out from the crowd. Being a brit I've been a fan from his Hippy days, Big Train and more importantly Spaced which at the time of its original showing hit a chord of recognition. Spaced along with Black Books are two series I dip into on a regular basis as tv comfort food for the mind and they are guaranteed to  make me smile and laugh out loud what more can you ask for when revisiting old friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment