Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fish with Sharp teeth Piranha 3D and a week of classic films

I spent the last week catching up with blu ray's I had purchased and which were gathering dust, and trying to clear my satellite tv hard drive to make room for newer recordings. Nothing in the cinema appealed, I had learnt about settling for second best with Shark Night and was not eager to repeat that mistake.
     Then I saw Piranha  and my faith in the world of b movie horror was restored. It was exactly what the Doctor ordered and I was happy again. It was a well made update of the Joe Dante Original, a perfect blend of horror , girls and creatures with sharp teeth. It knew what needed to be delivered and did so in a fun gory manner. I loved it. It really put Shark night in the corner. Now I never got to see it in 3D, our local cinemas were just undergoing the 3D update. Only one venue local to me was showing it, and that was in Lower Hutt and I just didn't feel like making the effort to go and see it. But watching it in good old 2D last week did not diminish the pleasure. It felt like the good old days of the 80's when horror could be fun and usually had some Spielberg connection.
     The 80's when Dante delivered anarchic fun an Carpenter cold hard chills and thrills. When ET wanted to go home and the Goonies were off to find treasure. This film has that vibe  and I loved it.
    This is also the week I  previewed the Blade Runner Final Cut blu ray and came away gob smacked at the visual clarity. Watched Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood bring war time cool to Where Eagles Dare and gloried in one of my guilty little pleasures the Brotherhood of the Wolf a movie I just love.
    Blu ray just brings new clarity to classic films, Zulu is outstanding, brilliantly presented with an image that just comes to life bursting with colour, as does Casablanca in its wonderful black and white clarity ( I'm a big Bogart fan and as I keep revisiting Robert McKee's story every now  I tend to re watch and take on board some of Mr McKee's idea's about story and script construction)
   I have a cheap set up and aged Sony Tv that is just HD Ready but that is more than capable of doing the films justice. So I may not have been going to the cinema, but I have been enjoying my blu rays.
    But my week end might just get better. Peter Jackson's Frighteners is about to released on Blu ray down here and I cant wait. I love this movie, yes its a little disjointed with the humour and the comedy and the dark places it ventures into but like his Braindead I just love it. Its my guilty pleasure.
    But today the sad news of Steve Job's passing, to the techno's he is Apple, well to me he is one of the creative visionaries who when George Lucas sold Pixar,  saw the potential in the company and bought it. John Lassetter is the creative but Steve Job's was the man who laid the firm foundations for Pixar to grow and become the force it is now. God bless Steve and rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment