Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sanctum 3D


Well there is not a lot to be said about this film, don't be misled by James Cameron's name on the poster. Don't be taken in by the hype that this is the same digital technology that made Avatar a 3D behemoth.
     Take a group of barely sketched characters, plonk them in a cave system, add a dash of cyclonic activity and stir vigorously. Taste. mmmmmmmmmmm god help me what is this (fill in blank)
    This is a B movie, you can't feel for the characters in this film because their sketches, you know nothing about them more than their experts at what they do thus preventing any form of emotional investment. It follows the usual disaster movie clichés vigorously but brings nothing new to the table. I didn't feel claustrophobic like I did with Neil Marshall's  Descent. I wasn't on the edge of my seat like I was with say something like the original Poseiden Adventure. You expect clunky dialogue, this isn't Shakespeare,  but not at the expense of characterisation at least make them believable so that I care.
     Saying that the 3D has moments that are strikingly beautiful but on the whole in this movie it didn't really add anything to the mix. Flat or 3D its advertising offers so much but the film delivers so little.

No comments:

Post a Comment