Saturday, October 16, 2010

Weekend blues

Weekends dependant on weather can either be productive or boring. This weekend falls in the later catergory, jobs I had assigned myself have been left well alone. However we did get to entertain , so nice meals were prepared, wine was consumed and all felt good for a short period of time.
      But my evenings were spent on a cinematic film 101. I chose a nostalgic rag bag of guilty pleasures on DVD and decided to view their extras . Thursday was taken up with the original King Kong and the extras included on the disk were out of this world covering not only the films creation, but also a little background history of its producer. My cinematic youth was not dominated by 3D , CGI , or visually torrettes school of film making.
I had always been a fan of fantasy and high adventure. My cinematic education beginning with the Golden Voyage of Sinbad and progressing to the wonders of At the Earths Core and Land that Time forgot. This was a world pre Star Wars. Where the most exciting movie posters inevitably belonged to films that a six to seven year old could not see. The likes of Hammer Horror films.
      Kong was the grandfather to these cinematic adventures, more to the point Willis O"Brian whose special effects work, whose creations paved the way for later advances of modern cinema. Where would the many voyages of Sinbad be without the exploits of Kong.  Or my particular stop motion animated favourite Jason and the Argonauts.

No comments:

Post a Comment