Friday, August 16, 2013

Is this it, 2013 the year the blockbuster took a dive.

Its been quiet on here, mainly because I came out of quite a few films in the past two months and thought is that it?. Is that your idea of original, is that bad excuse of a script actually got made and this is the result. There were a few stand outs for me, but they were films of moments but that didn't really blow me away.
Man of Steel delivered, it has superhuman beat downs, iconic moments of patriotism, grand operatic imagery. Zack Snyder delivered but it still didn't feel like a total success to me. It was missing something yet I can't say what. It had all the beats.

 Pacific Rim certainly knew its corner and came out punching. Literally.
 Bright eye popping colours big kick ass monsters vs high techs mecha's. I loved it, it delivered for me and then I saw the finale of the Cornetto Trilogy.

The Worlds End, it wasn't my favourite of the trilogy but the boys were back, it entertained, and it was a fitting conclusion. Shaun of the Dead will always be no 1 in my books.  But I got the point, some brave choices were made and the pay-off was worth sitting through.

But disappointments were many, I hated Epic,enough to actually walked out, accompanied by my 5 year old who was in a like mind and has voiced his dislike a little to loundly . I avoided the Lone Ranger purely because the reviews suggested a snore fest with the same faults of over indulgent set peices as the last two of Gore's Pirate trilogy.

Iron Man I made the choice I would wait for on Blu ray.

There are films that I am impatient for. The next Mad Max, the second part of the Hobbit trilogy but I have been revisiting a few classic old films on Blur ray which have left me wishing that summer films stateside were less about following sequal after sequal but actually daring to be new. Where is the next Godfather, Good fellows, Tootsie, Kramer vs Kramer.

Maybe that is why the Great Gatsby reignited my excitement to the point that I had to purchase the book and start reading. It was stylistically dazzling, daring in your face and at the same time loud brash and colourful.

So as I kick up again, so will my personal observations of things that catch my eye. Elysium will be my next film of choice and I will begin commenting on some of my more recent Blu ray purchases. So keep and eye out.

No comments:

Post a Comment