Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises and other matters

Well my absence from the big screen ended last week. It wasn't a new release I chose to see, but The Dark Knight Rises which has been out for a while and which I'm sort of glad I waited to see. Negative reviews from Aint It Cool Readers and some critics I respected had dampened my enthusiasm. But last weekend It was the Dark Knight or Total Recall. Batman won.
And to be honest, I enjoyed it, it is the weaker of the series but not to such an extent that it spoiled the experience. To be honest I loved it, I'm not prissy and over protective about the treatment of comic book legends. By virtue of his being a comic book creation, his story , his origin has been revisited many times and so a re imagining is legitimate and just as this has been a successful franchise for Warner Brothers there have been at least two misfires.
Chaos has been the undercurrent of Nolans Trilogy and the more grounded interpretation of his more iconic foes has been a breath of fresh air. My only criticism with this third and final entry of the Nolan canon is his treatment of Bain. Come on, who decided that Tom Hardy (an excellent and watch-able actor) should voice his character like some poor Sean Connery imitator with cotton wool in his mouth. I didn't feel the menace, it diluted the threat for me to the point that in one or two moments I found myself stifling my desire to laugh.
Nolan's direction is stand-out, action scenes pop, set pieces shine. Hats off too the special effects guys because in this film I find it hard to differentiate between the practical and cgi.

Now who will reboot this franchise.

Lastly, tomorrow Fathers day, I'm off to Courtney Central to see Finding Nemo 3D with my boy. So a review will follow shortly after. I also will be looking at the Avengers blu ray and will post up what extra's are on the Australasia release of the film. But finally I have now in my possesion, Jaws!!!!. I have had a brief glimpse and the picture is stunning, my favourite film in a brilliant release. This is one viewing I am going to savour.

So back online soon, also might put up a post with films that I'm looking forward too.

No comments:

Post a Comment